In the pursuit of achieving our desired body shape, liposuction has emerged as a popular and effective cosmetic procedure. Whether you’re looking to eliminate stubborn fat pockets or enhance your overall body contour, liposuction offers a solution. However, it’s important to approach this procedure with knowledge and understanding.
As such, this post aims to help inform you about everything you need to know about liposuction.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction, also known as lipoplasty or body contouring surgery, is a cosmetic procedure that aims to remove excess fat deposits from specific areas of the body.
Please note that this is not a replacement for weight loss but rather, it is intended to sculpt and reshape targeted areas such as the abdomen, thighs, hips, arms, chin, or buttocks.
Also, liposuction can be performed on its own or in conjunction with other cosmetic procedures to achieve the desired aesthetic outcome.
How Does Liposuction Work?
Liposuction involves a skilled surgeon using a thin tube, called a cannula, to suction out excess fat deposits from specific areas of the body. The surgeon makes small incisions near the targeted areas and inserts the cannula, which is connected to a suction device.
By carefully manoeuvring the cannula, the surgeon breaks up and removes the unwanted fat cells.
What Liposuction Does NOT Do
Liposuction is not a solution for weight loss or a substitute for a healthy lifestyle. Likewise, it does not address underlying issues such as obesity or cellulite.
Additionally, liposuction cannot tighten loose or sagging skin. Rather, you would need to use other plastic surgery procedures to achieve that such as facelifts or body lifts.
Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction?
In order to determine whether liposuction is good for you, you need to consider various factors such as:
- Overall health: Make sure your overall health is good and you have no underlying medical conditions.
- Stubborn fat deposits: Remember, liposuction is most effective for removing localised areas of stubborn fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. So, you will be a good candidate for this procedure if you have fats on your abdomen, hips, thighs, arms, or neck.
- Stable weight: It is recommended that your weight should be stable for at least six months before the procedure.
- Good skin elasticity: Liposuction works best when the skin has good elasticity, allowing it to tighten and conform to the new body contours after fat removal. If you have poor skin elasticity, your surgeon may recommend additional procedures or alternative treatment options.
- Non-smoker: Being a non-smoker or willing to quit smoking is preferable, as smoking can impair the healing process and increase the risk of complications.
Ultimately, while those mentioned above can give you a preliminary assessment of your candidacy for the procedure, it is crucial that you consult with the best plastic surgeons in order to determine if liposuction is for you.
Contraindications for Liposuction
While liposuction is a widely performed and generally safe procedure, there are certain contraindications that may prevent you from being a candidate for liposuction.
- Heart diseases
- Diabetes and blood clotting disorders
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Morbid obesity
- Advanced age
- A smoker
Which Areas of the Body Can Be Treated with Liposuction?
Liposuction can be done in many parts of the body. Here are some of them:
- Hips and flanks
- Upper arms
- Chest (in men)
- Neck and Chin
What are the different types of liposuction techniques?
There are several different types of liposuction techniques available, each with its own approach and technology.
In Singapore, here are some of the liposuction procedures you can get:
- Traditional Liposuction: Fat cells are sucked out by means of a cannula connected to a suction device
- VASER Liposuction: This new type of treatment uses ultrasound waves to liquefy fat cells to easily extract them from the body
- Laser Liposuction: This type of liposuction uses a laser to breakdown fat for easy extraction
- 4D High Definition Vaser Liposuction: Uses ultrasonic energy to liquidise fatty tissues. Guarantees less blood loss, better skin correction, fewer contour irregularities, and quicker recovery time.
- Lipo Abdominoplasty: Removes excess fat through liposuction, then removes excess skin to shape the abdominal area better.
- S.A.F.E. lipo: “Separation, Aspiration, and Fat Equalization” lipo is a minimally invasive liposuction technique that uses laser technology to break up and liquefy fat cells before they are gently suctioned out of the body
- High-volume liposuction: This technique involves removing large amounts of fat in a single procedure
What to Expect in a Liposuction Procedure?
Here is a brief rundown of what happens during a liposuction procedure:
- You’ll be prepped: Intravenous (IV) fluid lines and monitors will be placed to keep track of your heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen levels during the procedure.
- Administration of anaesthesia: The anaesthesia will keep you comfortable and pain-free throughout the procedure.
- Incision placement: The surgeon will make small incisions near the targeted areas where liposuction will be performed. These incisions are typically small and strategically placed to minimize visible scarring.
- Fat removal: The surgeon will use the cannula to break up and suction out the excess fat deposits. The cannula is carefully moved in a back-and-forth motion to target specific fat pockets and achieve the desired contouring.
- Incision closure: After the fat removal is complete, the incisions may be closed using stitches or left open to allow for drainage, depending on the surgeon’s preference and the size of the incisions.
- Recovery: Once the procedure is completed, you will be taken to a recovery area where you will be monitored as the anaesthesia wears off.
How long does a liposuction procedure typically take?
In general, the procedure duration can range from one to several hours. However, it’s important to note that this is an estimate, and the actual time required for your specific case will be determined during your consultation with the plastic surgeon.
Factors that can affect the duration of the procedure:
- Number of areas being treated
- Volume of fat to be removed
- Complexity of the procedure
Is Liposuction Painful?
No. Since liposuction is performed under anaesthesia, you should not experience pain during the procedure.
However, it’s important to note that some discomfort and soreness are expected during the recovery period after liposuction. You may experience pain, swelling, bruising, and tenderness in the treated areas.
What are the Potential Risk and Complications Associated with Liposuction?
Liposuction is generally considered safe, but like any surgical procedure, it carries potential risks and complications. This includes:
- Fluid accumulation
- Irregular contours
- Changes in skin sensation
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT; when a clot forms deep in a vein)
- Anaesthesia-related risks
To prevent or minimise these risks, choose an experienced and board-certified surgeon and follow their pre-and post-operative instructions diligently.
How to Choose the Right Surgeon?
Choosing the right liposuction clinic is a crucial decision that requires careful consideration. Here are important factors you should consider:
- Must be board certified
- Must be attentive to your wants and needs
- Must have the experience and expertise
- Must have good reviews and testimonials from clients
- Must have good before and after photos of previous liposuction patients
- Must have accredited facilities
Finding the right surgeon may be a daunting task.
Don’t fret! I compiled some of the best plastic surgeons in the country to help you achieve the body of your dreams!
How Much Does the Procedure Cost?
The cost of liposuction in Singapore can vary. That said, upon checking various plastic surgery clinics in the country, the procedure can cost anywhere from SGD 1,500 to SGD 15,000.
The cost of the procedure includes the following:
- Professional fees
- Anaesthesia cost
- Operating room fee
- Laboratory Fees
- Post-op compression garments
Liposuction is a popular cosmetic procedure that can help you achieve your desired body.
After sharing with you the most important things you need to know about the procedure, I hope you finally embrace the journey of self-transformation and unlock your body’s true potential with the artistry of liposuction.