Do you want to improve team dynamics but are hesitant to spend a lot of time and money on team building activities?
Good news: you don’t have to!
While conducting team building in other venues can be effective, they’re not always necessary.
In fact, there are many engaging and effective team building activities that you can organize right in your own office, without breaking the bank.
In this article, we’ll share five DIY team building activities that are not only cost-effective but also easy to plan and execute. Whether you’re looking to improve communication, build trust, or just have some fun with your team, these activities are sure to do the trick. So roll up your sleeves, rally your team, and get ready for some fun DIY team building!
1. Office Trivia Challenge
The Office Trivia Challenge is an easy-to-organize DIY team building activity that can be played right in your own office. All you need are some fun trivia questions about your workplace or industry, and a group of enthusiastic participants with a good knowledge of your company’s history and culture.
Here’s how to prepare it:
- Divide your team into groups.
- Challenge them to answer the questions correctly in a friendly competition.
The Office Trivia Challenge is a great way to:
- Boost team morale.
- Foster a sense of camaraderie.
- Promote teamwork and collaboration.
2. Office Scavenger Hunt
An office scavenger hunt is a cost-effective and engaging team building activity that can help improve communication, collaboration, and problem-solving skills among team members.
The activity involves creating a list of items or tasks that participants need to find or complete within a certain time frame. The team that completes the most items or tasks wins the scavenger hunt.
To organize an office scavenger hunt, follow these steps:
- Determine the rules and objectives of the scavenger hunt. Decide on the number of items or tasks that participants need to find or complete, the time limit, and the prize for the winning team.
- Create a list of items or tasks and distribute it to participants. Make sure the list is clear and easy to understand.
- Set the boundaries of the scavenger hunt and decide on the areas where participants can search for items or complete tasks.
- Set a time limit and start the time.
Playing an office scavenger hunt can provide the following benefits to the team:
- Improved communication and collaboration skills.
- Increased problem-solving skills.
- Boosted morale and engagement.
3. Blindfold Obstacle Course
The Blindfold Obstacle Course is a simple yet effective team building activity that can help improve trust, communication, and problem-solving skills among team members.
To organize a Blindfold Obstacle Course:
- Set up an obstacle course using chairs, tables, and other office items.
- Divide the team into pairs.
- One person in each pair is blindfolded, and the other person guides them through the obstacle course using verbal instructions.
- Once the blindfolded person reaches the end of the obstacle course, the pair switches roles.
Playing the Blindfold Obstacle Course can provide the following benefits to the team:
- Improved communication and trust.
- Increased problem-solving skills.
- Increased team cohesion.
4. Egg Drop Challenge
The Egg Drop Challenge is a fun and challenging team building activity that encourages creativity, problem-solving, and teamwork.
To set up the Egg Drop Challenge:
- Provide each team with a few simple materials, such as straws, tape, and paper towels.
- Challenge them to create a contraption that will protect a raw egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height.
- The teams can work together to brainstorm ideas, test their designs, and make improvements.
Playing the Egg Drop Challenge can provide the following benefits to the team
- Encourages creativity and innovation.
- Develops problem-solving skills.
- Fosters teamwork and collaboration.
5. Escape Room Game
Looking for a fun and engaging way to challenge your team’s problem-solving and collaboration skills?
Try creating your own DIY Escape Room Game right in the office!
To set up the game:
- Create a series of puzzles and clues that lead to a final “escape” goal, such as finding a hidden object or unlocking a door.
- You can use everyday office items like filing cabinets, whiteboards, and sticky notes to create your puzzles.
- Divide your team into groups and give them a set amount of time to solve the puzzles and escape.
The DIY Escape Room Game:
- Provides a creative and exciting way to build stronger relationships.
- Develops important skills that can benefit your team in the workplace.
Team building activities don’t have to be expensive or complicated. With these five easy-to-organize DIY activities, you can help your team bond and have fun right in the comfort of your own office. For more team building ideas, check out our article on 17 fun places to build your best team in Singapore in 2023, or our article on 5 icebreaker activities to kick-start your team building session. Start planning your next team building event today and watch your team thrive!